A Review of Cracks In the Sidewalk

I started reading Cracks In the Sidewalk by Bette Lee Crosby when she began posting chapters on her blog. The Christian women's fiction novel became available on Amazon Kindle for only $2.99. As soon as I found that out, I immediately purchased the e-book.

The heart-wrenching story is about Claire McDermott, who cares for her adult daughter, Liz, when doctors discover an incurable brain tumor. Liz's husband, the deplorable JT Caruthers, abandons her and wreaks further emotional havoc in Claire and Liz's life when he refuses to allow Liz's three children to see their mother. Claire and Charlie McDermott do all they can to support Liz while trying to coax JT into doing the right thing. Once, that includes knocking down his door with a sledgehammer. More often, it involves long-suffering for Claire and Charlie.

When I read the book, I felt so moved emotionally. Those who know me won't be surprised that I was crying at the end. Claire and Charlie (Liz's parents) suffer watching their only daughter not only deteriorate physically, but brave the insults and slights of the man she still loves. He holds all the cards, and does all he can to make sure Liz dies without ever seeing her children again. As a Christian, I often wonder what the right thing to do is in any given circumstance. Claire begs God for answers and often feels left with nothing. Yet she never gives up hope for her daughter and her grandchildren. Given Claire's circumstances, I don't think I would have acted better, perhaps just differently. And she is certainly an honest character I admire.

The writing, in my opinion, flowed beautifully on the page. The depth of characters and insight to their deepest thoughts and desires kept me turning pages (with a click) until I finished. Bette Lee Crosby won the Royal Palm Literary Award for women's fiction with this book. I hope you'll purchase your copy today.

Visit Bette Lee Crosby's website, her blog, the Bent Pine Publishing blog, and "Like" the Bent Pine Publishing page on Facebook.

Comments