FWA Conference 2012

At the moment, life, in a word, is insanity.

Yet I'm determined to talk about the FWA Conference, however briefly. It was over a month ago now, and I'll probably start to forget some of the great details if I wait much longer.

This was my fourth time attending, first time staying at the hotel. I was so happy to be sharing a room with my dear friend and fellow critique group member, Rachel. No driving back and forth.

The sessions were awesome. The ones that stood out:

Backstory led by Julie Compton and Jamie Morris. Julie was a keynote speaker for the conference.

POV Part II led by Rebecca Melvin. I had done Part I two years ago when I first met Rebecca. Side note: she's a publisher with Double Edge Press who is currently reviewing Sprinter!

Agents/Publishers Panel facilitated by Vic DiGenti. This open mic Q & A is excellent every year. They revealed many current trends of publishing and what agents/publishers look for. The highlight was Benjamin....drawing a blank on his last name. He represented Tyrus Books and had extremely passionate views about how social media is not the only answer to marketing and how authors do not have to worry about things like being "blacklisted." I wish I had a recording of him answering some of the questions because he was absolutely hilarious.

Rachel and I got to know each other better, attended every meal and many sessions together, did an evening workout in the hotel gym together, and met many wonderful new and old friends (from conferences past). And as mentioned in the last post, we did a book signing together with My Wheels. She is so wonderful. I'm sad (but happy for her) that she's moving soon.

Luckily, she says she plans to come back and do it again next year. Me too.


 

Comments