Writing About Girls Who Run

The Running Girls

Novelette Launch Date 9/17/16


What's the story about?


Here's the tagline: Two girls with nothing in common except the 500-Mile Summer of '89 Challenge.

Clara is an average student and below-average athlete. With some inspiration from her cross country coach, Clara decides to take on a summer running challenge: complete 500 miles in three months. The problem? Her parents don't want her jogging all those miles alone, but Clara doesn't want to run with the girl they suggest. Joan is weird, and something seems to be mentally wrong with her. Except none of Clara's other friends run. Will she complete the challenge, or does being stuck with Joan mean she's destined to fail?

Where did this story originate?


A couple of weeks ago, my running partner, Terry, and I had just conquered a six-mile run through Clearwater that included the Sand Key bridge. Needless to say, we felt strong and fabulous.

On the drive home, my phone rang. The bluetooth in the car told me that Janna Angell (owner of St. Pete Running Company--and my boss) was calling. Unable to sift through the backseat for my phone as I drove, I apologized to Terry and proceeded to answer with the bluetooth, informing Janna that she was on speakerphone.

During the brief chat, Janna invited me to participate in a book signing that she and Cody were hosting at the store for Dr. Brian Fullem and his new book, The Runner's Guide to Healthy Feet and Ankles.

I was so honored to be asked. But once I hung up the phone, I realized that my only available books had nothing to do with running. My novel, Sprinter, is still under consideration by an agent and is not yet published.

When I mentioned this to Terry, she suggested that I write a story for this book signing about a runner.

Brilliant! Why hadn't I thought of that?

Running Legend Alyssa Bowers



I talk about my amazing cousin, Alyssa, quite a lot on this blog. She's the one who ran a crazy Trans-Alpine race about a year ago. Eight days, about a marathon a day in the Alps. And she FINISHED! Unlike a third of the other competitors. That's just one of the reasons she's a legend.

She's also the person behind my love/hate relationship with running. She got me started back in college when I had no intention of running more than a few miles at a time.

When I started jotting down ideas for a story about a runner, I immediately thought of Alyssa and her best friend, Jenni. Back in high school, they completed a 500-mile summer running challenge. That gave me the premise for the story.

The Florida Heritage Book Festival




When: Saturday, 9/17/16 from 7 AM-5 PM
Where: Flagler College (Ringhaver Student Center)
50 Sevilla Street, St. Augustine, FL 32084


Giveaway: Come by my table and enter the drawing to win a free copy of Lance & Ringo Tails. Find out instantly if you are the winner.


The Running Girls will be released as an ebook at this event. I'll be signing and personalizing copies through an app called Autography.


Book Signing Hosted by St. Pete Running Company





When: Friday, 9/23/16 from 5-7 PM
Where: St. Pete Running Company
6986 22nd Ave N, St. Pete, FL 33710


I'll be signing and personalizing copies of The Running Girls through an app called Autography.

Books available in print and ebook:
Lance & Ringo Tails
Little Angel Helper
The Prometheus Saga


What is a novelette?


A novelette is longer than a short story, shorter than a novella. The Running Girls is about 12K words.


Comments