Breakthrough

Writing is a gift God gave me. I am certain of that. I credit him for a great deal of my completed novel. Sometimes I reread sentences with no memory of writing them. And it's usually the best lines, leaving me to wonder if it was really me. So I thank Jesus and ask for continued inspiration.

Today, he graciously answered one specific question. My ever-helpful critique group (John again) pointed out some things in my dreadful synopsis last week. Many things, in fact. I struggle with synopses like most authors do. And it hasn't gotten much easier even with feedback.

However, the breakthrough! I must credit my Lord for the thought thrust into my head with gentle, but firm hands. My main character, Chloe, needed more than what I gave her in the synopsis. But that meant changing the story. How daunting, and NOT what I wanted to do. Yet Christ was with me, and as I fretted over how to strengthen her, he sent what appeared to be the obvious answer. An idea I should have realized long ago.

Thankfully, the storyline is hardly touched. With a simple, yet powerful change, she now achieves what she hadn't before. The new action allows her to fulfill her purpose herself, rather than others doing it for her--the mark of a true hero.

I'd rather not explain what happens, or a major part of the ending will be ruined. Suffice it to say, I feel better about my synopsis. I can only hope an agent/publisher will too.

Comments